How to Hire the Best Landscaping Company near Whittier Alaska
So your lawn is not looking so great and you really need an affordable landscaping service near Whittier AK but have no idea how to locate one. And since you have great pride in your home, you want to take the time to hire the right company. Picking the right landscaping professional will not only guarantee a much more attractive yard or garden, but can also add more pleasure to your outdoor summer activities. And if you have your home on the market, any realtor will tell you that a successful sale is all about curb appeal. The range of services that you have at your disposal can be as basic as having your grass moved once a week to having a landscape architect or designer transform your yard to match your personal sense of style. Perhaps your trees need trimming and your shrubs need pruning? And during the winter season many landscaping contractors provide snow removal services as well. No matter what you need, picking from among the various local landscaping services can take a lot of time and due diligence on your part. After all, if you ultimately are not happy with the results, you can’t just return your yard for a refund. However, there is an easier way to hire highly qualified and reputable landscaping contractors near you. We’ll cover that topic a little bit later. But first, let’s discuss how to perform your research when looking for a local contractor.
Not Just Lawn Mowing
For many Whittier AK homeowners, their first introduction to a landscaping company is when they are looking for a service to mow their lawn. From there that need often develops into requiring a full service landscaper that can offer a broad menu of services. Even in the fall and winter months, the need can continue with leaf removal for the lawn as well as snow removal for driveways and sidewalks. So it is important to select a contractor that offers the wide range of services that you will need. Many will list the array of services they offer on their websites, providing colorful pictures of projects that they have worked on. Checking out their sites can be a good initial first step to finding the perfect match. An option that is becoming more popular is to use a referral service that matches the customer with experienced and screened landscaping contractors that work in their area. Some of the services that homeowners can receive proposals for include:
- Lawn mowing and maintenance
- Weed elimination and control
- Tree trimming and removal
- Bush and shrub trimming and pruning
- Sprinkler installation and repair
- Sod installation and grass seeding
- Tree, plant, bush and shrub planting
- Water features installation and maintenance
- Snow and leaf removal
Some Whittier AK companies may offer additional services, such as installing outdoor lighting or brick patios and retaining walls. When making your inquiries, you will want to confirm that their main focus is either residential or commercial landscaping, depending on your needs. Also, if you have a unique project, such as a water feature, make sure that the landscaper has extensive experience installing them. Finally, you may want to inquire about seasonal contracts for your annual lawn care needs as well as fall leaf and winter snow removal.
Landscaping Licensing and Certifications
Most states do require that landscaping contractors be licensed. The process for licensing varies by state, but may require the completion of a training course, the passing of an exam, or a minimum period of experience. Some contractors operate without the required licensing and are in danger of being shut down should it come to the attention of the state licensing authority. Since licensed landscapers are also generally required to be bonded and insured, it is for your protection that you should always confirm that the contractor you hire is properly licensed. In addition, there are numerous certifications that landscaping professionals can earn such as those offered by the National Association of Landscape Professionals (NALP) or the Association of Professional Landscape Designers (APLD). Similar to licensing, these certifications typically require the passing of an exam which is often practical in nature, as well as a minimum period of experience in the field. Earning one or more certifications as well as belonging to industry associations are additional ways that Whittier AK landscapers can demonstrate their experience and professionalism to the general public.
Why Hire a Professional Landscaper?
Whether it’s for a specific landscaping project or for seasonal lawn maintenance or snow removal, it’s a good idea to hire a professional. Some homeowners prefer to do it themselves, either to save money or because they enjoy working in the yard. But at some point it may become difficult to find the time, or perhaps some projects are a little too challenging and require the expertise of an experienced landscaper. Whatever the reason, following are a few of the reasons why you should hire a professional Whittier AK landscaping contractor rather than a neighborhood kid or handyman.
- Get Professional Results. When you hire a true professional landscaper, you are guaranteed of professional results. If you are not satisfied with any aspect of their work, they will stand behind their service and make the necessary changes until you are happy.
- They Have the Expertise. Professional landscapers have the experience to handle your project, and many have formal training or have earned one or more certifications.
- Provide the Right Materials. Landscaping professionals will not only provide the proper materials for your project, but can often get them at better prices than are available to the public. Also, they can deliver them to your job site as needed, saving you the hassle of arranging delivery or storage.
- Management. When you hire the right contractors, they will manage your project from start to finish. They will obtain any necessary permits, coordinate with utilities, work with you on designs, order the materials, and manage the work performed.
- Save You Time! Rather than spending your weekends mowing the lawn, trimming bushes, or in the winter shoveling your driveway, your reliable landscaper will handle it for you. Spend the time doing what you like to do instead and still have a great looking yard.
How to Choose a Local Landscaping Contractor
Now that you know who they are and what they do, let’s take a look at some important steps you should take to find and hire a reputable contractor for landscaping at your home or place of business. The first thing that you should keep in mind is that you need to do your due diligence to protect yourself. Yes, there are City, County and State laws in place requiring minimum standards for licensed contractors. Although all contractors must follow the regulations in place, not all do. And even the most stringent laws will not protect you from poor workmanship, delays or unfinished projects. At least they won’t until after the fact when you are looking for restitution, which you may or may not receive. So it is important that you take the following steps to not only protect yourself but ensure that you are hiring a reliable Whittier AK landscaping expert to maintain your lawn, garden or shrubberies.
- Get Referrals. Soliciting referrals from satisfied customers is a good way to find a reputable and professional Whittier AK landscaping contractor. Friends, neighbors and family are always good resources to start with. Another option that is becoming more and more popular is obtaining quotes from services that pre-screen local contractors. They ensure that the contractors are licensed and certified professionals for your protection. You can obtain free quotes from local landscapers in your area by requesting a quote from the recommended service on this website.
- Be sure to verify Licenses and Credentials. It is a good idea to do some preliminary research into the background of the Whittier AK contractors you are considering. Confirm that they hold all of the licenses required in Alaska or your City or Local Municipality. Check with the Better Business Bureau for any complaints as well as the Alaska Attorney General. Go online and check local reviews and visit their website. Find out if they hold any designations from professional organizations. All of these credentials and citations will give you an insight into not only their professionalism but their standing in your community.
- Meet with the Contractors. Once you have narrowed down the list to two or three candidates have them come to your home to see the job first hand. Make sure that all bids are based on the same specifications and cover all of your job requirements. If their bid is unusually high or even low, ask them why. Be sure to ask all pertinent questions, such as how long will the job take, or if they anticipate there will be any problems or delays. Be wary if the Whittier AK landscaping contractor doesn’t ask you many questions about your requirements or concerns.
- Ask for and check References. Before making the final selection, ask for and check at least 3 Whittier AK area references. Ask each previous customer if the job was completed to their utmost satisfaction. Ask if the job was completed on time and billed as quoted. Was there anything that the customer was not 100% satisfied with? Was there anything that they wish had been done differently? And finally, would they use the contractor again or recommend their service to their friends and family?
- And finally, get everything In Writing. After making your final selection, be sure to review all of the documents that your Whittier AK landscaping contractor has prepared for you. Ask for certificates of insurance for the Workers Compensation as well as the Liability Insurance. Be sure to contact the insurance company to verify that the policies are both current. Verify that they will obtain a Building Permit if required for installation projects. Make sure that all services, materials and costs are included in detail in the final proposal. Also make sure that the deposit and payment schedule is specified so each party knows what is expected. Start and completion dates, dispute resolution, and warranties all should be covered in the final contract.
Find Certified Lawn Care Services Whittier AK
Searching for the right landscaping company is easier than you think. You originally came to our website because you had an interest in finding out about Find Certified Lawn Care Services and getting more information on the topic Find Professional Landscapers. But now that you are here, you can request your free landscaping estimates now! There is no obligation to receive free proposals from some of the top qualified landscapers servicing your area. Professional lawn care, snow removal and tree service professionals are standing by waiting to compete for your business. So what are you waiting for? Find the right Whittier AK landscaping professional at the right price now!
Other Alaska Landscaped Locations
Whittier is a city at the head of the Passage Canal in the U.S. state of Alaska, about 58 miles (93 km) southeast of Anchorage. The city is within the Valdez–Cordova Census Area. At the 2010 census the population was 220, up from 182 in 2000. The 2018 estimate was 205 people, almost all of whom live in a single building. Whittier is also a port for the Alaska Marine Highway.
The region occupied by Whittier was once part of the portage route of the Chugach people native to Prince William Sound. Later, the passage was used by Russian and American explorers, and by prospecting miners during the Klondike Gold Rush. The nearby Whittier Glacier was named for American poet John Greenleaf Whittier in 1915, and the town eventually took the name as well.
During World War II, the United States Army constructed a military facility, complete with port and railroad, near Whittier Glacier and named the facility Camp Sullivan. The spur of the Alaska Railroad to Camp Sullivan was completed in 1943, and the port became the entrance for United States soldiers into Alaska.